Sunday, November 20, 2011

Lemon Risotto + Balasmic Chicken - Rachael Ray

So this is two recipes, in the cookbook it was suggested to make them together.

Lemon Risotto
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • 1 small-medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
  • 1 cup Arborio rice
  • Zest and juice of 1 large lemon or 2 small Meyer lemons
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (a couple of handfuls)
  • 2 tablespoons slivered mint leaves
  • A handful basil tops, shredded or torn
  • Salt and pepper
In a large pot, heat the stock and 2 cups water over medium-low heat.

In a risotto pot or large skillet with rounded bottom, heat the EVOO over medium to medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and sauté to soften, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the rice and add the zest of lemon. Heat the rice a minute or two, then add the wine and cook to evaporate. Add in the stock a few ladles at a time and stir for a minute with each addition of stock to develop the starch and creamy aspect. Keep adding the stock each time pan starts to become dry at the edges. The total cooking time will be 18 minutes or so.
When the rice is cooked to al dente, stir in the butter, lemon juice, cheese and herbs. Serve immediately.

Orange-Balsamic Glazed Chicken
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts or any combination of light and dark meat
  • Salt and coarse black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves chopped
  • 1/3 cup orange marmalade
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 2 scallions, whites and greens, finely chopped
  • 4 cups baby arugula
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high to high heat.
Season the chicken liberally with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. When the EVOO ripples, add the chicken and brown for 5 minutes, then turn and sprinkle with rosemary. Cook until the chicken is tender and cooked through, about 5 minutes more.
In a small bowl, stir together the marmalade, vinegar and stock and pour over the chicken. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and becomes a thin glaze. Arrange the chicken on a serving platter and serve topped with the glaze, scallions and arugula greens.

My brother came home this weekend for Thanksgiving and immediately asked "what's for dinner Sunday?" I had no idea what to make, so I quickly picked this because it looked yummy. Him and my mom commented "oh, risotto? That's a lot of work. Rachael (Ray, in her cooking show) spends the whole time stirring it." I sort of shrugged it off.
Well they were right. This dish required a lot of stirring and I should've spent more time prepping. I thought I had my time planned well and could do things as needed (like make the chicken glaze while everything was cooking), but I had to focus so much on the risotto it wasn't easy and it made me a little stressed. I had also never made risotto before I became a little nervous; I hate when risotto is slightly crunchy or super mushy. I knew we had 10 minute boil rice, so I kept reminding myself "you have a back-up plan, you have a back-up plan." It did end up turning out good and the chicken was a nice match with it. I served it with Shaw's Focaccia bread sticks; I put my brother to work and had them brush them with olive oil.
I couldn't find Pecorino Romano cheese so I just used Romano. I have no idea if this is a brand or type, but being as a I live in a fairly small town we sometimes don't have ingredients. I'm also not sure I would use arugula again. It was bitter and I prefer spinach. I figured I would try it because its not something we've had in a really long while. My dad didn't eat it, so next time I'll be sure something I know everyone will eat!

I'm so glad we're all home for Thanksgiving. I'm definitely thankful for my family <3 I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!






1 comment:

  1. YUM! Looks awesome, wish I could've come over for dinner! Also, I love that you've started a food blog! xx Lili

    ReplyDelete