Sunday, December 4, 2011

Chili-lime fish fry with Tex-Mex Peperonata - Rachael Ray

First the Veggies:

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 cup beer or chicken stock
  • Handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, for garnish

Directions

Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, the hot and sweet peppers, garlic, and salt and pepper, to taste. Saute the onion mixture until crisp-tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, cook 2 minutes. Add the beer or stock and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter, garnish with cilantro and serve. 

You can start the fish while making the peperonata:

Ingredients

  • 4 tilapia fillets
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 limes, zested and juiced
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder, a couple of palmfuls
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2/3 palmful
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder, 2/3 palmful
  • 2 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried
  • 1/4 cup vegetable, canola or safflower oil

Directions

Season the fish with salt and pepper. Arrange 3 shallow dishes. Put the flour in 1 dish and add the eggs to the second dish. Combine the bread crumbs in the third dish and season with 1 tablespoon of lime zest, 2 tablespoons of chili powder, the garlic powder, onion powder and thyme. Coat the fish in the flour, then the egg and then the bread crumbs.
Heat the oil, about 1/4 cup, in large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. If your pan is not large enough to fry 4 fillets, in a single layer, heat the oven to 275 degrees F and put a cooling rack on a baking sheet. As you fry the fish, transfer them to the rack in the oven to keep warm. Fry the fish until deeply golden and crispy, 3 to 4 minutes, and transfer to a serving platter. Season with a little extra salt, top with lots of lime juice and serve.

This was really yummy. I served mine with tortillas; my mom and I ate them like fajitas. I served it with whole grain rice, which I mixed with the peperonata to soak up the sauce. I've also never cooked fish, I'm really glad I took the risk!
I cooked the fish in olive oil, I always use olive oil. I think the oil itself is healthy and I don't really care for the taste of vegetable oil. I also cut down the chili powder just a little, I've made some of her food before and its been VERY spicy but this time it was right on.
As a note: be careful when you cut jalapeno peppers. The first time I cut and seeded them I did it with out using plastic gloves; I had to soak my hands in milk because the seeds are crazy spicy. Jalapenos themselves are mild, but the ribs and seeds are very hot. While my friend Lili was amused (and felt bad) at the situation, it was really uncomfortable. My mom and I laughed about it tonight actually, lesson learned :)


No comments:

Post a Comment